Brooklyn Oyster Riot
September 11th, 20146:30pm to 9:30pm
Ticket PriceSOLD OUT!
Brooklyn Oyster Riot, an original New York Oyster Week Production, and presented by W&T Seafood & CharlesSallyCharles Caterers, will create an unprecedented opportunity for guests to meet, mingle with and learn from oyster farmers, foragers and award-winning shucking champions in a fun and immersive oyster experience. The event will showcase some of the finest oysters in the world, as well as the stories of those who grow, forage or distribute them. Come meet your oysterman and ask questions as he hands you an oyster that he carefully cultivated from seed to half-shell! All oyster shells from the event will be recycled and donated to the Billion Oyster Project and New York Harbor School.
2014 BROOKLYN OYSTER RIOT INCLUDES
- Punch card tasting ticket (up to 3 oysters from each vendor) featuring oysters from the East and West Coasts (that’s 30 oysters)
- A tasting menu of passed plates featuring eco-friendly seafood and other food items, created by Charlie Krause
- 10 +/- Oyster varieties from near and far
- 10 +/- Oyster Farmers, Divers & Shucking Champions showcasing & shucking their oysters, interacting with guests and telling their stories
- OPEN BAR featuring 5 +/- Wines, Beers & Cocktails, including an exclusive Oyster Stout brewed by Blue Point Brewery for NY Oyster Week and Finlandia Vodka. Drinks will be curated to pair with specific oysters and oysters in general.
- Enjoy the event surrounded by natural splendor at the Palm House at Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
MEET THESE OYSTERMEN & SHELLFISH FARMS
- Taylor Shellfish featuring Shigoku oysters, Shelton, WA (Meet Tom Stocks)
- Montauk Shellfish featuring Montauk Pearl oysters, Montauk NY (Meet Mike & Mike)
- Forty North Oyster Farms featuring 40N° Shore Point oysters, Mantoloking, NJ (Meet Matt Gregg)
- Atlantic Cape Fisheries featuring Cape May Salt oysters, Cape May, NJ (Meet Ned Gaine)
- Barnstable Oyster featuring Barnstable oysters, Barnstable, MA (Meet Kevin & Tamar)
- Duxbury Bay Shellfish featuring King Caesar oysters, Duxbury, MA (Meet Paul & Matt)
- Fishers Island Oyster Farm featuring Fishers Island oysters, Fishers Island, NY (Meet Steve, Sarah & Pete)
- American Mussel Harvesters, Kingstown, RI
- Wild Oyster Diver Ryan Medwig of Long Island, NY (Meet Ryan Medwig)
- Meet the restauranteur, chef and speed shucker John Bil, proclaimed by the NYT as a "shellfish shaman" and by Josh Ozersky as "ungodly fast!" He is a renowned Canadian oyster shucking champion and consultant for many top restaurants, including M. Wells Steakhouse (NYC), Flex Mussels (NYC), Joe Beef (Montreal) and Catch (Toronto).
- Meet Sam Janis from the Billion Oyster Project, a long-term project to restore one billion live oysters to New York Harbor and educate young people about ecological restoration and marine science.
- more to be announced soon.
ENJOY A TASTING MENU BY CHARLIE KRAUSE
- Blue Crab Cakes, Tartar Sauce
- Potato Samosas, Cilantro-Yogurt Raita
- Sesame Chicken, Plum
- Beef Empanadas, Chimichurri
- and more
AND TO GO WITH YOUR OYSTERS
- Blue Point Beer will be offering several brews including the 2014 Oyster Stout, made with real NY oysters.
- Wines by various local, regional, national and international producers
- Finlandia Vodka Cocktails